If you do not find the answer to your questions please contact us and we will do our best to help you


Q: Under what circumstances should I refer a young person to this intervention?

Give us a break! could help for a variety of negative changes.  Events like divorce, separation, loss of a loved one or other major trauma can be deeply distressing to a young person.  These events often also bring associated changes in other areas of life, such as a change of home, school or living arrangements.


Q: How do I refer young people?

There will be regular groups running in your local area in South Lanarkshire. Please complete a Request for Assistance form and sent it to


Q: How long after the event(s) should a young person be included within a GUAB group?

The length of time between the event happening and the young person starting a group will vary from child to child. Not every young person who experiences a negative change in their life will require the additional support of a Give us a break! group.  However, if you have ongoing concerns for a youngster and you and the other significant adults in their life think they need the support and are ready to access this support, Give us a break! might be for them. 


Q: Who can run GUAB groups and how do they do it?

To run a Give us a break! group, you need to attend an initial 2-day training event (1-day for Educational Psychologists and those trained in the use of the solution focused brief therapy approach), run and evaluate a group and attend a half day follow-up session. Further details of training and dates can be found on the training page of this website. 


Q: Confidentiality? (Child Protection issues)

Services and agencies will operate within their own Child Protection guidelines and procedures. It is important that the young people are made aware of issues around confidentiality and what happens if a disclosure is made. If you require further information please speak to a member of the training team about this.


Q: Role of training team/school Educational Psychologist (advice)?

If you have questions or ongoing concerns for a young person and need to discuss this further, please either contact your school Educational Psychologist